Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 8 - Belmont to Shap

Any thoughts I had of reaching Carlisle by tonight were quickly dispelled. Whoever at the Red Dog it was that suggested it was 103 miles to Carlisle clearly had not  looked at Pewsey's route. With 80 miles on the odometer I've only reached the top of Shap Hill. The strong SW wind deserted me today.  Even slightly north of west such wind as there was, and the climb up from Sedburgh and crossing the M6 on a narrow twisting farm road was as steep as anything encountered to date. Grueling.

Also slowed down by frequent heavy rain showers and a LOT of traffic for first 3 hours.

I promised Mary I wouldn't bike after dark . And true to my word , when a welcome sign pointing to a Best Western hotel right at the summit of Shap at 6.30 came into view I had no hesitation. Such is the price of  remaining truthful to your wife. And very comfortable it is too. Tent was an unattractive alternative. But with that and a  stove and Tiso bag , it's a great insurance policy.

A very welcome sight
Carlisle now within easy reach.

No comments: