Thursday, June 12, 2014

Back to Scotland for more Munro bagging



Mary flew back to Colorado from Shannon and the intention was that i'd stay on and help Meghan & Dennis with their forthcoming move to Ennis and the starting up of Dennis' new vet practice there. They're nearly there but not quite and consequently I decided to fly back to Scotland Mon to Fri while M & D working and kids with their child minder Claire.

Trip a huge success. Back to Roscrea again tomorrow after 3 epic days in the Highlands.


John, Meghan and Dennis before dinner at renowned Mt Juliet Hotel.


Meghan on 1st tee of Roscrea GC . Brushing up on swimg and etiquette for entertaining Hills customers at Adair Country Club. This was her first shot in over a year. And down the middle . Remarkable.

Roscrea station for the only train of the day heading East.






Took train Roscrea to Dublin with bike and got tour of Trinity Coll and Book of Kells. Followed by the obligatory Guiness Store tour and a good sample pint on the 7th floor.

And then back to Scotland


Johannes and I setting off in my hired car to Skye again.


Summit - Am Basteir. Went on in variable comditions to do Bruach na Frithe to complete tje Skye Munros. What a star Johannes was to get me over all of these.  


After returning to Inverness for another night wih J & J , I drove up to the very North dropping in to Bettyhill to see hotel owner Chris who saved my bacon in 0ct 2012 by opening his hotel for one very wet, cold, tired, and hungry LEJOG cyclist who was otherwise facing a second consecutive miserable night in a tent ! 


The first of the 2 most northerly munros I did - Ben Kilbreck- with a very comfortable night in the Altnahara Lodge. A long slog in and a few rivers like this one to cross. And v strong wind against me on way back


The 2nd - Ben Hope - a gem of a mountain without the long trek over 2 miles of boggy ground that I had the day before. This , looking due north with Loch Eribol at right.

90 odd still to go. Might be pushed! Will need to do better than 9 a year which is all I've managed in 2014. The difficult and remote ones though are largely behind me, so there's at least a chance. Knees could be a problem among others. Wouldn't be starter though without the help Johannes gave me on the Cuillins on those 3 days . Hugely grateful.



No comments: